Workshop “Introduction to Natural Building
- Themes: earth building, strawbale building, natural water purification, green roofs, water harvesting, earthen oven, composting toilet, loam plastering.
- 1-day workshop on 29th of August 2021
- 50% theory and 50% practice
- Spoken language: English
- Location: Stadsboerderij Osdorp in Amsterdam
- 70 euro per persoon
Building in harmony with nature
This one day course combines learning about the fundamentals of Natural Building theory with practicing to build a regenerative construction.
Imagine what it would be like to inhabit a healthy and energy efficient home where the walls breathe and the water that falls from the sky is what we wash with? What would it be like to contribute to the restoration of depleted habitats by building with local and natural materials? Can we build a house that can be completely recycled and composted at the end of its life cycle and nourish the surrounding soil while inhabited?
With permaculture as starting point we discuss how natural buildings can fulfill multiple purposes. Not only offering its human inhabitants safety and shelter, but also feeding the soil, offering refuge to animals and insects and other ecosystem functions. After having an understanding of the fundamentals we will practice with some of the basic earth building techniques (cobbing and loam plastering).
- Acquire knowledge about the fundamentals of Natural Building (earth building, straw bale, green roofs, natural water purification, composting toilet etc.)
- Practice a few natural building techniques to grow your confidence and experience the joy of building with earth.
- Be inspired about simple projects to start-off with in your own garden or community.
- 10.00 – 10.15 Start with tea/coffee
- 10.15 – 11.30 Fundamentals and examples of Natural building
- 11.30 – 12.00 Natural and locally available materials
- 12.00 – 12.30 Practice 1: Preparing of earth mix
- 12.30 – 13.30 Lunch
- 13.30 – 15.00 Practice 2: Building with earth and loam plastering
- 15.00 – 16.00 5 small starts in your garden:
- Reed bed filter for grey water treatment
- Water harvesting
- Composting toilet
- Earth oven with heated cob bench
- Earth garden wall with green roof
- 16.00 – 16.30 Recap and questions
This workshop was set up especially for students of Cityplot’s “Get Down and Get Dirty” workshop serie covering the fundamentals of urban permaculture and sustainable organic growing. It was designed with those in mind who want to expand their learning to the area of natural building . But it is also available for other interested people who want an introduction to regenerative building or who are looking to get started with experimenting in their own garden or community.
The workshop will be taught by Peter den Hond, 44 years old and with over 6 year’s experience in Natural building. After attending 2 workshops himself, he built his own hobbit style dwelling in Amsterdam together with his girlfriend. Followed by the construction of a bigger 2 story eco-house in Peru’s coastal desert and various eco-building projects on the Stadsboerderij Osdorp. He expanded his knowledge and experience during different building projects in Peru, Spain and the Netherlands, including one taught by eco-building guru Gernot Mincke. Besides his work as natural builder he works as an independent under the name of Peter Plank making all kinds of stuff out of other people’s waste. Next to the naturally refurbished barn where this workshop is held, Peter designed and is implementing the regenerative pilot project “Klimaat Tuin” where participants can practice during this workshop.
Date and time:
- Sunday 29th of August 2021
- 10.00 – 16.30
- 70 euro per person
- Workhop teaching
- Building Materials and tools
- Hand-out of theory
- Coffee, tea and fruit
Terms and conditions:
- Participation in all activities is fully at the participants own risk. The organisation can in no way be held accountable for any harm or damage to people or property caused during, before or after the activity. The teacher can decide to expel a participant if he or she causes a security threat to others or acts irresponsibly in the eyes of the teacher.
- No dogs allowed.
- Workshop in accordance with the RIVM’s Corona measures.
- In case the workshop needs to be cancelled due to Corona measures a new date will be decided on together with the participants. A refund is not possible as costs have already been made.
- The use of alcohol and drugs is forbidden during the workshop.
- The stadsboerderij is a smoke-free area, so no smoking is allowed.
Questions and registration
With this form you can register or make any further enquires. You can also reach us by sending an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or calls us on 06-52020467.
Wat anderen van ons vinden
Het verhaal van Peter over voedselverspilling en hergebruik van dingen leken ze ook interessant te vinden. Hij maakte het goed interactief door tussendoor in z’n verhaal vragen aan ze te stellen.
“Ik respecteer zijn keus!”
Ik kan er maar niet bij, dat Peter die een universitaire opleiding heeft, er voor kiest nauwelijks geld te verdienen, zijn spullen uit prullenbakken haalt en er voor kiest om met zo weinig mogelijk te leven. En dan ook nog kapotte schoenen!!
Bij aankomst pakte Peter een stuk beschimmeld brood uit de bak. Hierdoor ontstond er meteen een discussie of je zo een brood wel of niet kan voeren aan de dieren. Deze aanpak werkte heel goed.
Ik vind de twee workshops goed aansluiten bij het thema duurzaamheid. De workshopsleiders waren goed geïnformeerd en het thema kwam vaak aanbod.